For many people, getting tattoos is an avenue for self-expression and a way to display art on their bodies that reflects their passions and interests. Unsurprisingly, many hardcore gaming fans have chosen to show off their love for their favorite games by making those games a permanent part of their bodies.
Naturally, certain characters are more popular than others and some franchises garner a lot more attention overall than more niche series. If you’re wondering which characters gamers are choosing to decorate their bodies with, here’s an overview of the top 10 most popular video game tattoos.
Online Casino uncovered the list of the top 10 most popular video game tattoos by conducting research to find out which characters got the most attention online. There are three different methods the company used to measure character tattoo popularity:
- The number of Instagram hashtags referencing tattoos of that character
- The number of views on TikTok hashtags referencing tattoos of that character
- Monthly search volume, or the number of Google searches in an average month for tattoos of that character
Characters were then ranked based on their overall popularity given their numbers in each category. The study paid attention to as many naming variants as possible when identifying references to a tattoo of a given character. For example, hashtags that counted for Princess Peach could have included #peachtattoo, #princesspeachtattoos and other similar variations.
It’s worth noting that the actual prevalence of tattoos of certain characters was not a metric used in this study. As a result, the results may not necessarily indicate the most common video game tattoos that people actually have. Instead, the results showcase the tattoos that gamers most frequently show interest in online.
Top 10 most popular video game tattoos
Here are the top 10 most popular video game tattoos according to Online Casino’s research, along with the approximate metrics that allowed them to climb to the top of the rankings:
- Pikachu (Pokémon) – 33,900 Instagram hashtags, 10.7 million TikTok hashtag views, 11,900 monthly Google searches
- Mario (Super Mario) – 27,500 Instagram hashtags, 4 million TikTok hashtag views, 7,100 monthly Google searches
- Kratos (God of War) – 5,100 Instagram hashtags, 2.9 million TikTok hashtag views, 9,800 monthly Google searches
- Kirby (Kirby) – 5,100 Instagram hashtags, 2.9 million TikTok hashtag views, 3,950 monthly Google searches
- Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog) – 6,000 Instagram hashtags, 312,500 TikTok hashtag views, 5,100 monthly Google searches
- Ryu (Street Fighter) – 17,100 Instagram hashtags, 81,200 TikTok hashtag views, 610 monthly Google searches
- Crash (Crash Bandicoot) – 5,100 Instagram hashtags, 161,000 TikTok hashtag views, 3,350 monthly Google searches
- Bowser (Super Mario) – 1,100 Instagram hashtags, 3.2 million TikTok hashtag views, 1,210 monthly Google searches
- Yoshi (Super Mario) – 1,500 Instagram hashtags, 126,000 TikTok hashtag views, 2,850 monthly Google searches
- Spyro the Dragon (Spyro) – 1,100 Instagram hashtags, 53,100 TikTok hashtag views, 1,680 monthly Google searches
Considering Pokémon is the highest-grossing media franchise of all time, it’s no surprise that Pikachu tops this list. Meanwhile, Super Mario has proven to be the most popular series represented, with Mario, Bowser, and Yoshi all making the cut. This also makes sense considering Mario’s status as the mascot of Nintendo.
About the Author
Dylan Tate is an alumnus of the Hussman School of Journalism and Media at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He is a gaming journalist with a love for Nintendo esports, particularly Super Smash Bros. and Pokémon.