Tungsten is a required crafting resource for a number of important recipes in Starfield. Tungsten is mainly used to craft certain items and structures at your Outpost along with being required for specific research projects and weapon/spacesuit mods. As such, no matter what you’re trying to craft, you will likely have a need for Tungsten at some point during your adventure.
Unfortunately, Tungsten is not the most common mineral that you can find in the Settled Systems. If you have been struggling to locate a solid supply of Tungsten in Starfield, then I have the perfect guide for you below.
How to buy Tungsten in Starfield
First and foremost, we have the easiest way to acquire Tungsten. You can purchase the mineral from most vendors in major cities in Starfield. I will list some of the shops where I have had the most success with Tungsten below:
- Mining League (Neon)
- Midtown Minerals (Akila City)
- Jemison Mercantile (New Atlantis)
- Shepherd’s Goods (Akila City)
- Newill’s Goods (Neon)
- UC Distribution (New Atlantis)
- Any Trade Authority store
- Zuri’s General Store (The Key)
At most of these vendors, you can find anywhere from 10-20 Tungsten available for roughly 15 credits. This won’t be a huge hit to credit supply, so I recommend stocking up on as much Tungsten as you can.
How to mine Tungsten in Starfield
On the flip side, if you want to passively collect Tungsten and essentially have an infinite supply, then you will want to mine it. This is done by finding a planet with Tungsten as an available resource and then going to the planet’s surface to create an Outpost with an Extractor. I’ll break those steps down more in-depth below:
- Go to your galaxy map and begin surveying planets to see their resources
- Once you find one with Tungsten (which is labeled W), scan the planet to see what areas have Tungsten in them.
- Land on a spot with Tungsten on the ground and then bring out your scanner once on the surface.
- Find where Tungsten lights up the ground on your scanner and start an Outpost there.
- Craft a Tungsten Extractor on a spot with Tungsten in the ground and then power that Extractor using a Solar Array, Wind Turbine, or Generator.
- Craft a Storage Container next to the Extractor and then create an Outpost Link between the Extractor and the container.
Doing this will allow you to mine Tungsten passively and have it go into a storage container for easy access. You can mine hundreds of Tungsten a day if you keep going back to unload the Tungsten from the container.