Riot Games’ first attempt at a first-person shooter, Valorant, entered closed beta on April 7. The game has been extremely successful already, breaking Twitch records and poaching players from other popular games. The closed beta is officially over, however, and players will not be able to play again until the game officially releases on June 2.
Valorant officially releases next week
Even though the closed beta is over, you don’t have long to wait. June 2 is right around the corner on next Tuesday. The downtime should be well worth the wait too, since we already know there’s going to be a big launch update.
The Valorant launch update will include new balance changes, a new game mode, and supposedly a new Agent. Best of all, the game will be free to play and will be available in all regions to download and play. So, if you didn’t get into the closed beta, you don’t have much longer to wait!
What we learned from closed beta
The Valorant Closed Beta taught us a lot about the game. If you don’t know whether you want to play it yet, here are some things to consider:
- The game is very similar in some respects to Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.
- There are different characters with different abilities called Agents.
- The Agents aren’t very similar to heroes from Overwatch, and the game itself doesn’t feel like Overwatch.
- One game generally takes between half an hour and an hour to complete.
- There will be a competitive game mode with rewards.
- The game is not “pay to play” or “pay to win,” but there are microtransactions for cosmetic content.
- Valorant is currently only for PC, and there is no word on whether it will come to consoles.
VALORANT Closed Beta was an opportunity for us to learn what worked, what didn't, and what you'd need from us to have the best experience playing VALORANT. With your help, here's what we accomplished in the last two months. Thanks to players around the world for joining in! pic.twitter.com/oUWmqcfLiY
— VALORANT (@PlayVALORANT) May 28, 2020
If you are still on the fence, be sure to check out more guides and content on Valorant, and stay up to date with the latest news and stories.