Dolphin Diving is a movement feature that returned in MW2 and has been kept as a mechanic in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. However, if you want to move in the most efficient way possible in MW3, you actually need to disable the dolphin dive mechanic.
As a note, this is mostly for controller players since controllers have the slide and dive buttons mapped to the same keybind. Keyboard and mouse users have two distinct keybinds for both slide and dive. This is important because in order to have the fastest possible slide cancel, slide and dive can’t be mapped to the same button. If they are, then your slide cancel won’t be as fast because your controller has to identify if you’re trying to slide or dive.
So, to have a fast slide cancel, you need to disable the dolphin dive mechanic in MW3. To do that, check out the guide below.
Disable dolphin diving in Modern Warfare 3
Luckily, Sledgehammer Games has put in a new setting that allows you to completely take out the dive mechanic. This was not available in MW2 or during the MW3 beta, so look at the steps below to disable dolphin diving:
- Go to the settings menu of MW3
- From here, navigate to the Controller tab and then the Gameplay section
- In Gameplay, look until you see the option called: “Slide/Dive Behavior”
- Click on this option and select “Slide Only” from the drop-down menu
- Save the settings and exit the menu
- You will now only have to tap your slide button to go into a slide and you will no longer be able to dive
And with that, your slide cancels will be much faster in MW3 thanks to diving being disabled. While you might not like that diving is gone from your keybinds, you can always turn it back on if you wish.