Hearthstone just revealed its new United in Stormwind expansion, which features a new keyword, cards and more.
During the broadcast, a new cinematic trailer was also shown, highlighting key themes of the expansion. It also made throwbacks to characters like Onyxia disguised as Lady Katrana Prestor with a young Anduin Wrynn.
A new keyword, Tradeable, will appear in the United in Stormwind expansion. Tradeable cards can be dragged back into a Hearthstone player’s deck and, for one mana, they can draw a new card.
Heavy Plate is an example of this, allowing players to either gain Armor now or trade it in for another option. Other examples of cards that include the same keyword are Rustrot Viper, Impatient Shopkeep and Fire Sale.
- Heavy Plate: 3 mana. Tradeable. Gain 8 Armor.
- Rustrot Viper: 3 mana 3/4. Tradeable. Battlecry: Destroy your opponent’s weapon.
- Impatient Shopkeep: 3 mana 3/3. Tradeable. Rush.
- Fire Sale: 4 mana. Tradeable. Deal three damage to all minions.
More new Hearthstone cards
The Hearthstone broadcast also revealed other cards inspired by the hustle and bustle of Stormwind City — which is the heart of the Alliance.
These cards include:
- Pandaren Importer: 2 mana 1/3. Battlecry: Discover a spell that didn’t start in your deck.
- Spice Bread Baker: 4 mana 3/2. Battlecry: Restore Health to your hero equal to your hand size.
- Peasant: 1 mana 2/1. At the start of your turn, draw a card.
- Mailbox Dancer: 2 mana 3/2. Battlecry: Add a Coin to your hand. Deathrattle: Give your opponent one.
Legendary card reveals include:
- Darkbishop Benedictus: 5 mana 5/6. Start of Game: If the spells in your deck are all Shadow, enter Shadowform.
- Flightmaster Dungar: 3 mana 3/3. Battlecry: Choose a flightpath and go Dormant. Awaken with a bonus when you complete it!
Profession tools and mounts
Next, profession tools and mounts were featured in the broadcast. While profession tools are weapons with special effects, mounts can be used to help Hearthstone players in battle.
Profession tools include:
- Runed Mithril Rod: 3 mana 0/2. After you draw 4 cards, reduce the cost of cards in your hand by (1). Lose 1 Durability.
- Prismatic Jewel Kit: 1 mana 0/3. After a friendly minion loses Divine Shield, give minions in your hand +1/+1. Lose 1 Durability.
- Elekk Mount: 7 mana. Give a minion +4/+7 and Taunt. When it dies, summon an Elekk.
Ramming Mount: 3 mana. Give a minion +2/+2 and Immune while attacking. When it dies, summon a Ram.
Questlines for Hearthstone Mercenaries
For players who enjoy the stories in Hearthstone Mercenaries, all of the classes will receive a new Questline. These are Legendary spells that start in a player’s opening hand and requires three steps for completion.
The final reward for completing a Questline is the class’ Legendary mercenary minion. An example would be getting Arcanist Dawngrasp added to a player’s hand.
Questline card reveals include:
- Sorcerer’s Gambit: 1 mana. Questline: Cast a Fire, Frost, and Arcane spell. Reward: Draw a spell.
- The Demon Seed: 1 mana. Questline: Take six damage on your turns. Reward: Lifesteal. Deal three damage to the enemy hero.
The United in Stormwind expansion is scheduled to launch on Aug. 3 with 135 new cards. It is now available for pre-purchase as well.
New minions and skins for Battlegrounds
The broadcast also noted that there will be “nearly 25 new minions” in Hearthstone Battlegrounds, which will reimagine the synergies of different minion types.
An example of this are pirates. These will lean heavily into the theme of acquiring gold and loot. Other minion types will see similar additions to freshen up the gameplay. More information about these will be available soon, according to the broadcast.
There will also be new cosmetic options for Battlegrounds players. These exclusive hero skins will allow players to suit up as a version of Millhouse Manastorm or even Chained Kael’thas.
Players will get the option to substitute Bartender Bob with Ragnaros, the Tikilord. More hero skins for this game mode will be revealed throughout the year.
Fire Festival and new Malfurion skin
While players anticipate the United in Stormwind and Hearthstone Battlegrounds updates, they can also look forward to the summer Fire Festival. Ragnaros will give out rewards upon the completion of the quest chain.
As for Druid players, Malfurion Stormrage will be getting a new skin.
About the Author
Amy Chen is an esports journalist and enthusiast who specializes in in-depth interviews and breaking news. A University of Toronto and Humber College graduate, she is passionate about building up the Canadian esports industry. Her current favorite games are Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm, and she has always had a soft spot for World of Warcraft!