League of Legends
Call of Duty
Ever since Call of Duty went mainstream, the game has traditionally been played with a controller. While the first couple of games released on PC, console became Call of Duty’s core platform for most players. In Black Ops Cold War, the player base may be split on input method, but a controller is still viable with the right settings.
As with most Call of Duty titles, there are a lot of controller options. For this reason, deciding which settings to use can be somewhat daunting for new, or even returning players. However, there is a recommended list of settings that will certainly help a player’s gameplay if they aren’t already being used.
This list differs slightly from the recommended settings for Warzone though, which contains different features to Black Ops Cold War.
Best controller settings for Black Ops Cold War
In standard multiplayer, there are a few subsections for the controller settings. Each section is important, but there are some individual settings that should be focused on. Features like Aim Assist and sensitivity are at the forefront of the settings but each one will be listed below in their respective sections.
- Horizontal Stick Sensitivity: 6
- Vertical Stick Sensitivity: 6
- ADS Stick Sensitivity (Low Zoom): 1.00
- ADS Stick Sensitivity (High Zoom): 1.00
- Button Layout: Tactical
- Aim Response Curve Type: Standard
- Invert Vertical Look: Disabled
- Controller Vibration: Disabled
The best Aim Response Curve Type for the majority of players is Standard. While Dynamic can be used by veteran players with precise aim, Standard is the recommended option.
- Target Aim Assist: Enabled
- Target Aim Assist Mode: Standard
- ADS Aim Assist: Enabled (Campaign and Zombies only)
- Airborne Mantle Behaviour: Manual
- Grounded Mantle Behavior: On Second Press
- Aim Down Sights Behavior: Hold
- Steady Aim Behavior: Hold
- Armor Behavior: Apply All
- Attack Vehicle Control Mode: Aim-Based
- Stick Layout: Default
- Left Stick Min. Input Threshold: 0-5
- Right Stick Min. Input Threshold: 100
- Right Stick Min. Input Threshold: 0-5
- Right Stick Max. Input Threshold: 100
- Auto Move Forward: Disabled
- Auto Sprint: Enabled
- Sprint Cancels Reload: Disabled
- Parachute Auto Deploy: Enabled
- Equipment Behavior: Hold
- Interact/Reload Behavior: Tap to Reload
The biggest aspect in the Advanced tab is the Min Input Thresholds. These are essentially the Deadzones for the controller and should be set at zero to start with. If the zero value gives the user some stick drift though, the value should be increased by increments of one until there’s no drift. Five is usually the max value for most controllers. Also, although some players live and die by it, Sprint Cancels Reload should be disabled.
Black Ops Cold War is a great experience with a controller but it’s enhanced with the right settings. Getting used to new settings might take some time, but it should be worth it in the end.
Joey Carr is a full-time writer for multiple esports and gaming websites. He has 6+ years of experience covering esports and traditional sporting events, including DreamHack Atlanta, Call of Duty Championships 2017, and Super Bowl 53.