The Perks system is one of the biggest changes that Infinity Ward has made in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. While players still have access to all of the perks they know, they won’t be able to earn them the same way as any other year. Instead, the perks are broken up into three different categories: base, bonus, and ultimate. These perk packages can be customized on each loadout. Players start out with two base perks, and then unlock the bonus and ultimate perks as a match goes on, similarly to how the Field Upgrades are unlocked.
This change received mix reviews during the beta, leading to Infinity Ward speeding up the pace at which the bonus and ultimate perks can be unlocked. Despite feedback, the developers have stuck with this system for the launch of MW2. This was confirmed yesterday when Activision released the multiplayer launch blog, detailing the perks in-depth. In this guide, we’ll be going over all of the perks coming to Modern Warfare 2 at launch and explaining what they do.
The perks in Modern Warfare 2
The number of perks in each category differs, but players are still only able to select four for each of their perk packages. The packages can be customized across any loadout, giving players a sense of strategy in terms of what weapon they use with a specific package. All of the perks and their official descriptions are viewable below.
- Overkill: Carry two primary weapons.
- Double Time: Double the duration of Tactical Sprint. Increase crouch movement speed by 30%.
- Battle Hardened: Reduce the effect of enemy Flash, Stun, EMP, Gas Grenades, and Shock Sticks. Immune to Snapshot Grenades.
- Scavenger: Resupply ammo and throwing knives from dead players.
- Bomb Squad.: Take reduced damage from non-Killstreak explosives. Reset fuse timers when picking up live grenades.
- Tracker: Enemies leave behind a footprint trail, and enemy death markers are visible. Kill markers are hidden from the enemy team.
- Strong Arm: Throw equipment farther and see a preview of the trajectory.
- Extra Tactical: Spawn with an additional Tactical.
- Resupply: Spawn with an additional Lethal. Equipment recharges over 25 seconds.
- Spotter: Spot enemy equipment, Field Upgrades, and Killstreaks through walls. Aiming down sights highlights them for the team. Hack enemy Claymores, Proximity Mines, C4s, and Trophy Systems.
- Cold-Blooded: Undetectable by AI targeting systems and thermal optics. Does not trigger High Alert warning. Does not highlight in enemy Tactical Cameras, Recon Drones, and Spotter Scopes.
- Fast Hands: Reload, use equipment, and swap weapons faster.
- Hardline: Reduce Killstreak cost by one elimination. Reduce Scorestreak cost by 125.
- Focus: Reduce flinch when aiming down sights and extend Hold Breath duration.
- High Alert: Vision pulses when spotted by an enemy player outside of view.
- Ghost: Undetectable by UAVs, Portable Radars, and Heartbeat Sensors.
- Quick Fix: Eliminating players immediately triggers health regeneration. Capturing and holding objectives increases health regeneration rate.
- Overclock: Store an additional Field Upgrade charge and increase Field Upgrade charge rate by 40%. ON-EARN: Get a Field Upgrade Charge.
- Survivor: On death, enter Last Stand with the ability to self-revive once per life. Teammates can revive downed players faster.
- Bird’s Eye: The minimap is zoomed out. UAV and Radar pings reveal the enemy’s direction. ON-EARN: Activates one local UAV sweep.
Infinity Ward has specified that the descriptions for each perk are subject to change after launch. This could also apply to the times at which players unlock the bonus and ultimate perks throughout a match. Activision could add more perks after the launch of Modern Warfare 2 as well. For now, though, this is the official list.