One of the core staples of the Call of Duty franchise is the ability to use voice chat in multiplayer lobbies, and, of course, Modern Warfare 3 has brought this feature back. There has never been a Call of Duty title without voice chat since the series went mainstream, and that’s not changing this year.
However, the option to enable and alter your voice chat settings has certainly changed, especially from the older days of the series. While the voice chat settings have largely remained the same since Modern Warfare 2019, it never hurts to run through a refresher course on how to speak to your teammates and enemies in multiplayer.
Below, you can see exactly how to enable and tinker with voice chat in Modern Warfare 3.
Enabling voice chat in Modern Warfare 3
Using voice chat is extremely simple once you understand exactly how to find and change the settings in MW3. Look at the steps below to see how you can locate the voice chat settings:
- Open up the Settings of MW3, which is located in the top-right corner of the lobby screen (the cog icon)
- Navigate to the Audio tab (the speaker icon)
- Scroll down until you see the Voice Chat section
- Turn Voice Chat to “On” and then set your Voice Chat Output Device, which is whatever speakers/headset you’re using to listen to the game volume
- Set Game Voice Channel to “All Lobby” unless you want something different
- Scroll down to find the Microphone section, which is right below Voice Chat
- Make sure all of your microphone settings are correct and press the “Test Mic” option to ensure your mic is working properly
- Leave the Settings
Once all of those steps are complete, your voice chat should be working flawlessly in MW3. However, there are some caveats you want to watch out for. Namely, if an enemy or teammate mutes you in the lobby, you cannot hear or talk to them. So if someone isn’t responding to you, make sure they don’t have you muted in the lobby or match. You also want to double-check that your settings are actually applied and you’re currently using the correct input and output devices. It’s important to remember if you have Push-To-Talk enabled as well.
The second caveat is to be mindful of what you say over voice chat. Activision has implemented new voice recognition software in-game that can detect hate speech and anything else outside the realm of trash talk. If you are caught using words or phrases that go past trash talk, your account could be suspended or banned.
And that’s everything you need to know about using voice chat in Modern Warfare 3.